Re: Outlawry = death

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_vv1yfejvZqu6RxJsSVecf4FwMRejUb4R6oxvRqJE-tezAjkOjDhojhLW45V8>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:31:03 +0000 (GMT)

Following on from the earlier post (below), is this because ritual excommunication forms part of the formal declaration of outlawry ?
Richard Hayes

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_VlzHuER-lXVf3LizhaI3SOxt2hh498a9ijSDe_jh_NMET-US9J7Yil9JtrfKGKQx5QmiDaEzpiHOus-0NdQ.yahoo.invalid> Subject: Re: Outlawry = death
To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, 4 January, 2009, 9:12 PM

>> as well as legally, sever the offender from his kin. The outlaw is cut
>> off
>> from the worship of the Storm Tribe - which may not mean much to a
>> Humakti,

> I think the last part is overstating the power of the ritual. Outlawry
> separates the offender and the clan, but the clan does not have the power
> separate the offender and her/his god. Now, for most of the really serious
> offenses, the god will probably be ditching the offender anyway, but
> that's
> a separate issue. I suppose if the clan has some specific hero cults or
> variant subcults they worship, where kinship is significant, outlawry
> would
> interfere, but, in most cases, I think Orlanth and Ernalda are the ones
> who
> get to chose if a person is allowed to stay in the Storm Tribe, not some
> clan ring....

Nope, Outlaws don't get to call on Orlanth (see TR 44). (or ancestors either, btw). The rituals cut you off from *all* orlanthi society, including Orlanth!

Remember that the Gods and Ancestors have ways of indicating that "something
is wrong", and this will often point to something happening that will merit
Outlawry.

RR

Yahoo! Groups Links