Re: Outlawry = death

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_X3TVy4rQJ2osuS6I-bTETfQBuHpGPnfAwMbgEyEN4DsY92FdDv6hd1nE5CGlNR_yYNTi6>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 08:56:46 -0800

>Following on from the earlier post (below), is this because ritual
>excommunication forms part of the formal declaration of outlawry ?

Yep.

Outlawry is cuts off the offender legally *and* magically/religiously. It is much more than saying "never darken our doors again" or "We, the XXX Clan, are no longer responsible for YYY's debts". It has magical rituals that cut the offender off from his kin - including his magical kin.

If wierd uncle Oddi is doing Outlawry-punishable activities, the gods and ancestors have probably done their best to inform the clan that "Something bad is going on - we can't tell you what or who, but you gotta fix it". Worship Ceremonies are going to be interrupted by Agents of Reprisal, people will be having bad dreams, the crops will fail, people will bicker and fight (more than normal), etc. Everyone will know that there is a problem. Once they find the problem, the fix (if it's problem is bad enough) is a death sentence. Which, in Orklanthi Society, is cutting off all relationship with the offender. Realize that this is the WORST THING YOU CAN DO in Orlanthi society. Worse than killing someone. And it's reserved for the Worst People - the equivalent of child-molesting dope-peddling cannibal terrorists in today's America.

Depending on how well liked the offender is, his bloodline and friends may argue for or against Outlawry. Depending on how dangerous he is to let wander around, somene may decide to kill him after his outlawry "just to be sure". Telling lies in the moot might not warrant killing; Summoning Chaos Demons - well, now, that's a whole different story.

RR