Outlawry = death

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_i1c1DZOTJ9Gfwzv9Hpx099bfXA2hqA4Dhk_j9zoNAfCb3EsSUcxbPLJdPuxBAread>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 06:08:37 -0800

YGWV This comment provokes me to respond.

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Bruce Mason <mason.bruce_at_L4i7KxZ_S0IAPxynQFtq3g8OV1RFsuTICYrhTFKnsfx5bMWWcDZhNf900HzI4csBTrCRPpeE32wbowWIXQ.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> It [outlawing] may
> make sense in an Orlanthi heartland where being outlawed probably is a
death
> sentence by any other name. I wonder if it holds true in border lands
> though?

Yes.
Outlawry, living all alone, is generally a death sentence anywhere, to anyone. Anywhere. Anytime.
Life is too difficult and dangerous for one person to survive very long. Historical fact, and true for Glorantha as well. Contrary to the expressed opinion, it is more likely that an outlaw would survive in an urban environment, since in that case there is *someplace*that he could go to find food, healing, clothing or whatever else he needs
and can't provide for himself.
Yes, exceptions exist.
But is is extremely difficult and dangerous for a band of people to live entirely in the wild, without any other human contact. For an individual, the standard expectation of long-term survival = 0.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer