Re:Outlawry = death

From: Keith Nellist <keithnellist_at_lvX1H83UMWstP_S3ZsTpVBdy0T8dE2PcLeZiZ7tDpTeImSA8dZMVSTTEjpI-eUd>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 01:23:08 -0000

This has been an excellent thread. I'd like to imagine Killer Varanil escapes from his clan and ends up in Pavis, perhaps falling in with the likes of Tortor Gravyblood. But that would be another story.

I'm of the opinion that the crimes that he commited before he was outlawed are the responsibility of the clan. There is no individual responsibility, but someone (perhaps "something") is responsible, and that something is the clan. They may have outlawed him now, but someone has to pay for his crimes. The pragmatic lawspeaker from the wronged clan should view the act of Outlawing Killer Varanil in a positive light, an act of goodwill from his point of view, but in terms of cows it is not worth much.

Having to Outlaw someone is embarrassing (and shocking and ill omened, and upsetting) and is really an admission of failure by the clan.

Some of these issues also might be beyond the gods understanding because they involve Time. Not the sequence of events storytime but the exact details of what happened when.

Keith