Re: a Gloranthan Lex Mercatoria? (was City Orlanthi)

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_iyBhBSd99oOtCwU6BzT-wjxCFVRxxhBURAGzcscDokGa7XZkPmuazIj4paoz>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 00:12:30 +0000 (GMT)

Whilst I don't know if this passage is still considered to represent the current thinking on Gloranthan marketplaces, the episode of the Travels of Biturian Varosh (in Cults of Prax) that was set in Corflu suggested that priests who managed markets were ritually obliged to allow other merchants a pitch in the market  , but that priests who didn't like the cut of a new arrival's jib, could do the bare minimum and give the unwelcome new arrival  a bad pitch (e.g. in a corner near the latrines, like Biturian's pitch in Corflu).
Secondly in the Travels of Biturian Varosh, we are told that most of the other merchants in Corflu were Lunars, and that at least some of the Lunars had horses rather than mules (which to me suggests that they were Etyries rather than Issaries). Yet the priest in charge of the market was a Lunar Issaries cultist, (because he is a Lunar, but he has to become a desert tracker when he gets the piece of Genert's skin, which presumably an Etyries cultist would not have to do).
Can one itake this a step further, and infer from this that some or all of Glorantha has a "lex mercatoria" (system of commercial law independent of any city or state used by  merchants to regulate their own affairs), and which crosses national (or cult?) lines? Or was this litle story just an anomaly from the remotest fringes of the Lunar Empire, and the kind of thing that might happen in a frontier town, but it would not be repeated in a culture's heartland? Or is this simply an aberration from c. 30 years ago?
Do similar principles of mercantile neutrality work in relation to the powerful Seshnelan merchant families (the Tumerins and Capratis) who operate in (far-from Malkioni) Nochet? Does such tolerance even extend to the brown Vadeli, and if so where?
Secondly, would access to marketplaces only cross cult lines where one would expect to find quite a lot of merchants from more than one cult. For example,  wouldn't one  expect to find some merchants who were Issaries and others from Argan Argar at a market or fair hosted by the Torkani tribe?
Finally if there is a Gloranthan Lex Mercatoria, would it be a Godlearner construct?

Richard Hayes