Re: a Gloranthan Lex Mercatoria? (was City Orlanthi)

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_ltavPlx1oRAQ4QvaWtS6sr9bk2aaQvg14CYiA7ZjQcjfk9akG3XsqETNM-cZQrk6b5>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:21:37 +1100

2009/1/6 Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_mlhmbpSHIhRaquagPYp9Cf24fxUnhtIDZqsI3DPyMFuGr3EuFKEL8wxmiOLuoTWNSb2JmgvJPMHu8G0Oy1GtKfA.yahoo.invalid>:
> Well, Lokarnos is the god of tokens, wheels and transport rather than
> the god of the gold standard and mercantilism. His worshippers are
> more like servants of the nobility than free traders.

I appreciate that mercantilism is somewhat anachronistic terminology for Third Age Peloria, I still find the analogy useful for my own conceptions - although this is likely to be due to a mania for all things Early Modern rather than a sophisticated understanding of Solar culture (which I lack!).

> Very few merchants are goldentongues and most do not act like one.

Certainly! The goldentongue archetype seems privileged mostly because they appear more traditionally "playable" to a lot of roleplayers. I've only had one turn up in our games thus far and he's quite conspicuous in his difference from other merchants. ("You want to wander off and meet strangers and trade with *them* instead of us? What?!")

--
John Machin