Re: a Gloranthan Lex Mercatoria? (was City Orlanthi)

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_cqOSzuK93t1RUyn3dJDfvRV2VYfMvvesF9ueRFAS_7pOQf1NwDziEkYiXGdWpQwlapYy>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 07:41:36 -0000

> >I think that all mercantile cults whose entity participates in some
> >way with the idea of Equal Exchange have some means to find common
> >ground. The closest to "mercantilists" that I can think of in
> >Glorantha would be Lokarnos worshippers - other trading gods seem to
> >value going out there and meeting people equitably.

For what it is worth, Issaries initiates take an oath to treat those they deal with fairly and not cheat fellow initiates or outsiders. Trade is not the purpose of the Issaries cult - communication is (although trade is a very important incidental byproduct of communication and is facilitated by it).

> > I think the traders of various cults are going to have
> >similar ideas about customs and good practice which might lead to
> >common ground - if not to customary law that is accepted by the wider
> >community.

The Issaries cult was spread far beyond Orlanthi lands in the Second Age. You will find Issaries worship even in cultures that do not worship Orlanth - for example, there are Issaries cultists in Teshnos, Fonrit, and beyond.

Jeff