Re: a Gloranthan Lex Mercatoria? (was City Orlanthi)

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_OibczS3uC3j4DS3fze1jiLh8RR24IBl4W-1spQNXmjMZCrwedd3-IxpFTabR3g_zL5>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:46:24 +1100

2009/1/6 Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_S9pNtkI-r_aLA2YGP_02NZhdPcWCM_bPxsxtyaf3lcjrnrUxDUmGrCYI5cl3Ynces39U3MG48pjvTOmOcOVynZBP1Q.yahoo.invalid>
> Merchants aren't in the business of meeting people equitably, they
> are in the business of making money or acquiring wealth. Mercantilism
> is not a trading philosophy but a public policy by the governments of the
> time based on a flawed perception of money.

Pedantry demands that I point out that I didn't say it was their business but that they value it. It's necessary to meet people before you can bilk them. It's probably also necessary that they aren't trying to eat your face when you meet them - although some powerful communicators can probably get around this as well...

Lokarnos worshippers seem, at least to me, to be about holy metal money and control not exploration and equality. Conceivably there are some Western states that get down with this economic approach (they might be more Early Modern than these "middle of the continent" rubes)?

> I think it far more likely that the Traders will form a cartel
> or other unsavory trading practice in order to enrich themselves
> at the expense of the wider community.

A cartel amongst traders at least presupposes peaceful dealings (even if cynically predicated on the pursuit of mutual advantage only) between those traders. I.E. common ground between traders that does not extend, necessarily (or beyond the merely superficial), to the wider community.

Are we talking past each other here Peter?

--
John Machin