Re: a Gloranthan Lex Mercatoria? (was City Orlanthi)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_8HcXigOFtRGLA9oi2TF44qlKABAVwLYJxmYn70iSu3zNEsFzUEQEN3EoNAhsWcaWkiJ>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 18:04:59 +1300

At 03:14 p.m. 6/01/2009, you wrote:

>I think that all mercantile cults whose entity participates in some
>way with the idea of Equal Exchange have some means to find common
>ground. The closest to "mercantilists" that I can think of in
>Glorantha would be Lokarnos worshippers - other trading gods seem to
>value going out there and meeting people equitably.

Merchants aren't in the business of meeting people equitably, they are in the business of making money or acquiring wealth. Mercantilism is not a trading philosophy but a public policy by the governments of the time based on a flawed perception of money.

> I think the traders of various cults are going to have
>similar ideas about customs and good practice which might lead to
>common ground - if not to customary law that is accepted by the wider
>community.

I think it far more likely that the Traders will form a cartel or other unsavory trading practice in order to enrich themselves at the expense of the wider community.

--Peter Metcalfe