Re:Outlawry = death

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_iGFIkQ4Xmz1_n8zycyfI9UWvccw8NdPmGmMUmu3iE9t32qsmFHXPSJDloyntWHL8H>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 20:12:31 -0800

YGWV On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 5:31 PM, <donald_at_JMgRUC_wIzWRhDcB3XA5TAzvq83lSb4wpjjdcZ2CnfsAS-R3ZADXKWXdDdoqQsudb3cEQ3rUrExGil7z2Q2seSF2.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> In message <gk2omi+ml5e_at_eGroups.com> "bryan_thx" writes:
> >wrote:
>
> >> Harvest is not a Final Death - and I've found that my player
> >> character Ernaldans and Orlanthi farmers are EXTREMELY reluctant
> >> to let Humakti anywhere near a ceremony that is ultimately about
> >> Life.

I am not so sure that harvest in actually about life. It is about taking the lives of the plants (and when butchering, of animals) so that the people can live.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Final Death". I associate this
> with being consumed by chaos and therefore unable to be reborn.

I would too.

>Indeed! Isn't the secret of Ernalda along the lines of "She isn't
> >dead, she's sleeping!" You really don't want to get Humakt involved
> >in that situation *eek!*

First, understand that "she's sleeping" is a secret, not something that is bandied about, even if everyone knows it. She is dead, but Ernalda herself proved that she was powerful enough to come back, hence "only sleeping." But until she wakes up, she's dead, like those barley sheaves you cut down.

Yet I've seen the suggestion that Babeester Gor's father is Humakt,
> conceived when Ernalda was hiding in the earth.

Ernalda was dead, and she gave birth to BG, so that's not incorrect at all, except for the "father" and "conceived" parts. Yes, he is the "father" but not in a biological sense, just metaphorical. So, yes it is true, but no, it isn't true the way it seems to say.

Proving that life is stronger than death.

I would NOT agree that Ernalda's bearing this child proves that at all. I would say it proves that even in death Ernalda can be nasty.

> I understand Humakt denies fatherhood.

Normally, Humakt is incapable of fathering anything, since he is the Taker, he is Death, and an not make Life.

> TR pg. 184 has the women mourning the death of Esrola on Harvest Day.

Yea, because she is dead. We killed her to eat and live.

> >I would think if a Humakti harvested anything the seeds would be
> >useless for planting at the very least. Whether they'd still be
> >food for living beings not so sure about. But yah, I'd not want
> >Death anywhere near harvest either.

I think if a Humakti harvested anything (except, perhaps a ritual cutting) then it'd be shocking because that is nowhere near his job. I am not convinced it would damage the nutritinal value, but cerainly impair his reputation!
It would be like sending the cook to assassinate someone.

I see the Orlanthi being much more comfortable with the idea of life coming
> from death than we are.

Yes, they know that. The fact of resurrection and rebirth is known and experienced.

But this is very much a case of YGWV.

As always.

--
Greg Stafford