Re:Outlawry = death

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_DzgXnaNQCjoGkCeOFuGH7FNaz4_in2rBuDA5IzL12Ns0j1rh-sPZCFZDSIVR4DW_VVw5r>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:23:21 -0800

> is still the weregild to think about. The idea that you can quickly
> outlaw someone and avoid compensation claims seems really exploitable
> (Sneaky Chieftain: "Oh him, *so sorry* we outlawed him!") especially
> if there is no way for the Greyddogs to discern if the outlawry is
> genuine... surely you'd lie to an enemy to protect kin so why not
> claim that the wrong-doer was outlawed and let these Dogs go begging?
> (Greedy Carls: "What do we owe them afterall?!").

Outlawry just to avioid compensation is a really extreme idea - you *can* determine if someone is outlawed - ask Orlanth. And if someone tries to claim they outlawed someone, they can't come back later crying that you killed him and owe them compensation. I really, *really* doubt that anyone would try it. Especially as the clan would be known as liars if it were proved that he wasn't really outlawed. Lying is a grievous sin to the Orlanthi (no, not just the Humakti - if you can't be held to your word, you aren't fit to talk to). One of the "Outlaw" offenses is "lies in a moot or hearing" - and coming to present a claim for compensation is a hearing. Any chief worth his salt is going to make sure that such an embassy to another clan will have a Humakti along to discern truth (along with other duties...), and the 'Dogs have a whole temple full of 'em.

> This sort of attitude and approach does create drama, and I can see it
> happening in society (and in games!) but I don't think it is What
> Orlanth Would Do; I think Orlanth would tell the Greydogs: "We have
> sent the malefactor you seek away, he is not one of us; here take
> these cups and cows and give them to the kin of those slain - noone
> can walk the world alone. Oh and he left to the east - violence is
> always an option."

Of course, the relative strengths of the two clans, the distances between them (is raiding a possibility?), the alliances they have with their neighbors, the Voice of Ernalda, the Voice or Orlanth, etc. are all going to have an effect on the "negotiations". If the tide favors my clan, I'll tell the embassy to get packing, even if I hadn't outlawed Killer. If the tide favors the other clan, I might give gifts (not compensation - I still deny that Killer's actions can be laid at my door) even if I had outlawed him.

As I say, let your Lawspeakers argue the case.

But remember that even winning a case doesn't guarantee that the plaintiff will actually see a cow in compensation. You gotta back up your legal win with might, or go home.

> That the reality of mortals and the exigencies of politics might alter
> this is allowable, but I just don't see the clan's liability for the
> deaths of other being discharged so lightly in iterms of dealistic
> Orlanthi Justice.

It's definitely not "lightly". Outlawry is not a joke, or a clever deception. It's permanent and drastic.

RR