Re:Outlawry = death

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_NJca0HUrRMl_U_NHBc-YoLxXB7p17Hmxuw9Z_VBEMpOUi6HFChfjzs_sOibT>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 23:30:36 +0000 (GMT)

The question seems to be: does full outlawry (and excommunication) have retrospective effect?
As I see it, there are four kinds of possible answer :
Yes -- clans are no longer liable for the acts of outlawed members because full outlawry means not only that the person is not kin but also that they never were kin, even if the members committed those acts before they were outlawed
No -- clans and tribes remain liable for acts committed by members who are outlawed after the event, as long as they were members at the time of their wrongdoing
Sometimes -- there is a body of legal principles, probably linked back to the laws of one or more of the Orlanthi lawgiver heroes (Heort, Andrin, etc.) which explains when they are and when they aren't. Moreover these principles may be ambiguous, and/or there may be a conflict between different lawgivers' approaches
Maybe -- the decisive question is not about the timing of the declaration of full outlawry, so much as the ability of the party demanding recompense to take it by force if they don't get it.

Which answer seems most 'authentic'?  My money would be on the second or fourth options
Richard Hayes