Re:Outlawry = death

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_zaq1mEFkK2zZnzwp4U6uKpgHHnVXYa_ZRhGZf4cIGIB3LuKyiA8OANeNwg3hjzvTkVmEssJ2>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 22:35:12 +0000

"John Machin" <orichalka_at_8nKamG9TQhn_PhdehQ3BXPuQoCxws_tQaR93G8fdQ1weym2XKxLZq9rlVKm3ppPn4Y9wKVb9_UO_dvzOuiY.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>The community was responsible for allowing the ill (by not controlling
>its demented members or outlawing them earlier) so the community is
>responsible for setting them right - it's What Orlanth Would Do, isn't
>it?

I agree. Those Greydogs weren't murdered by an individual called Killer Varanil; they were murdered by our clan. And the Greydogs will, quite naturally, expect compensation from our clan. The fact that we outlawed Varanil might appease the worst of their lust for immediate bloody vengeance, but they'll still want weregild. If we try to weasel out of paying it, they'll only start raiding us to take payment by force...

Orlanthi law isn't about narrow blind justice or rules-lawyering - we have the Dara Happans for that. II's a pragmatic way of resolving disputes, also known as "Either we pay them now, or they'll keep on attacking us and we'll lose far more in the long term."

Stephen