Re: City Orlanthi

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_lVyPk8zDCo8kqtRxdEuv5VtTHvoOsmJszQlNoD-gHi66HlvdFVaGc1tDxNS6DX>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 19:13:51 -0800

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_uk9QiYieoUgrhjyTzKgu9o4mocoujYoyAEVoj2S8j_I8rzrN0U_12SqxlW4WqN7x1oAtyHZxoa11MmVOmhg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>Just a note about terminology - the word you want is "tula", not "fyrd". The
>tula is the lands of the clan, the fyrd is all able-bodied people who can
>defend the tula.
>RR

Thanks for the correction, although, as stated below, it is confusing, since some cities are also tulas.

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_jMHX8QYokQ79vQ_7TmDLFNZcFClW28GP3NuisQ7FfnV_WoQfT0Q0HTSrQNF1_NSe9X5MKoOLAQk8kNA9y5IW38Th3lTAjw.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> >*The role of Orlanthi cities in raising/fielding armies during periods of
> >rebellion.
>
> They don't because the Lunars control the cities.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

That's a limited view of what I am taking about.

First, the Orlanthi created and managed their cities quite well before the Lunars arrived. And raised up resistance to them before being occupied.

Then they broke free and raised up armies (several times) as the struggle went back and forth in the period covered by Dragon Pass. And then, eventually, Argrath pushed the fight further north (with some setbacks) and the Lunars never controlled the lands of Sartar again.

Additionally, there are more Orlanthi cities on the west side of Mirrorsea Bay that were hardly occupied by the Lunars at all.

Oh, and I answered one of my questions: King of Sartar, pg 218-223 has a description (mostly describing the city layout) for Boldhome. Interestingly, there is a Foreigner's Quarter. Thus, some sort of city law covering these rules must be in place. If only for the protection of of trading partners.