R: Re: Dialects in communication

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_ZP_xaJ-4BYVARZ8u9X8q385GuvzUJu8eZ5JWYi6zOSHwKOZm_mjbuccJRHZ3se--OUA>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 03:08:20 -0800 (PST)

Anyway, in my game, I recommend the use of language issue in the oral contest case to be considered very rarely.

I hate when the Game Master tells me "you can't communicate with them because you don't know the language" and the whole dialect/tongue/mothertongue bonus-malus matter makes things agonizing slow in play. My character is currently an Etyries Communicator Ordinate, so I bypass most of communication problems ipso facto.

Usually movie and fiction heroes speak any language it is necessary at the moment (think about the Thirteenth Warrior with Antonio Banderas: he learns viking tongue in the span of a couple of scenes; the Interpreter and Dances with Wolves spring to mind, also). The grade of knowledge or dialect subcase is never mentioned and I like it so, in game. Either the character understands the spoken language or not.

Speaking of reality, the matter is different. That's why I like playing more than working, for instance ;-)

Ciao,
Gian