Re: R: Re: Dialects in communication

From: Grimmund <grimmund_at_w-47HwktSzD8FRDYFVfSW3Xr1n8Y3Gm1z_21Fiojpn12hCakNoZaAp42O3E8ospCCx6>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:31:51 -0600

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_f824EqiscVAt9kizUULJD5HuPxOughAjUbQLqEUuRT4jFfzBTOW9h-VF_VZiKg0BuK5U6ijPuyRg8wc.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> I understand quite well written english; less well spoken english; horribly
> less well movie english.The electronic / cinematic media is very cruel to
> comprehension of different accentsand languages than our own!!Live english
> (direct from mouth to ear) is to me easier than DVD or TV (indirect)english,
> in other words. Why? Please tell me.Gian

I don't know about you.

I'm a native English speaker, but I'm also got 40db of hearing loss and some occasional 'noise'. Depending on circumstances, I can have difficulty understanding spoken English.

I can't lip-read actors unless their face is visible on-screen. That makes some of the dialog difficult to understand, particularly over a loud section of musical score or other background noise, or when the actors lower their volume.

Dan

--

Today's fun brought to you by the letters USMC and the numbers 155:
http://tinyurl.com/9ld8z3