R: Re: Dialects in communication

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_B1fI1xi98af6wrfRxnimcoMl3KECspfkUzSECCPTQGwgP2Dkof2dC9y1o2FIQUwkSnN>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:07:58 -0800 (PST)

BTW on a tangential note:

Da: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_kEtpIo3bQhpu6oPBmgnMSn2Zkc1Ka9WzyYGg_oj5PMoXQKfZkePy6B6vY-seOrbVT6gw9_eClkHYKRR-.yahoo.invalid> Oggetto: Re: Dialects in communication
A: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
Data: Mercoledì 21 gennaio 2009, 16:53

After about an hour, when one of them said some simple sentence quite loudly, I suddenly realized that they were speaking english. It just hadn't *sounded* like english to me. Once I made that mental adjustment I was able to pick up some bits of the conversation, but by no means all of it.

And that was after having spent two years at an international school, surrounded by a variety of accents, and listening to the BBC world service, so used to 'standard' english.Me:another issue you english speaking and mothertongue anglosaxon are not aware is that of reproduction of sounds in the cinema. I understand quite well written english; less well spoken english; horribly less well movie english.The electronic / cinematic media is very cruel to comprehension of different accentsand languages than our own!!Live english (direct from mouth to ear) is to me easier than DVD or TV (indirect)english, in other words. Why? Please tell me.Gian