R: Re: Dialects in communication

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_gyxaMRHOLM9w7UEAVQm_IZgMoPeFb2SEH6NHgdo_PQ20Z37goSaRA3bm1YwgmWlrK77>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:02:53 -0800 (PST)

I suppose 'Totally believe' is MachoAmerican English! :-)

Dialects and accents are big issues in many italian films, *but* as comic relief, cultural characterization, actor flaws... Also they are used to mean 'low class' (mafia, southern Italy, preTV era Italy, street italians) not as obstacles that the heroes must overcome. The realization that Brits (actors and accents) in Ben Hur were Romans and Americans (actors and accents) were Jews stroke me only recently. 'Lost in translation' issue ;-)

Except for...  ''My Fair Lady'' type stories (John Travolta in Staying Alive? Sylvester Stallone in Rocky?), probably, portraits these concepts more clearly than me. In other words, Aspirational ("feminine") themes meet these issues, like dialects and accents, as plot points (even if minor ones usually).

Maybe "less macho" and more "aspirational feminine" games of heroquest then I usually play would involve dialects issues?

(Pardon the convolution of my reasoning, pals!)

Gian