Re: Dialects in communication

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_gEOvic9jaVgRmgmCZgsMHxtEX-7m3XgrT6HifTQ-GpLJJcSAc-l4ZQ2tr8OBPbfsEaQ>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:15:16 +1300

At 02:57 a.m. 22/01/2009, you wrote:

>Yet one presumes they both managed to understand 'standard accent'
>British English, and make themselves understood by speakers of
>standard 'British English'. While the two different dialects may be
>mutually difficult to understand, both are intelligible to the
>'standard' version of the language.

Careful. They may understand standard english but the standard english speakers may not necessarily understand them. In a similar fashion, I can understand American English but the humourist Dave Barry has described the Kiwi accent as being a totally different language except for one word which he represented as "fudge".

--Peter Metcalfe