Dialects in communication

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_qB-dLkPYV1JD6uRMKt5T7LhEebMY-CFsiJGvMhFtTr4NMqDCZCyy6FQOCniFKZV2_ig>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 01:32:17 -0800 (PST)

I don't know exactly, but I doubt that in an oral (verbal and direct based) community, accents matter as much as in our Real World (written and indirect based) community. I mean: many dialects are an obstacle in our world because we don't strive to comprehend our neighbors. We have TV, email, telephone, written papers a lot of other means of different communication which is not dependent on dialects. In an oral world (like the ancient Earth or Glorantha) I suspect dialects are less an obstacle because people are trained from their childhood to overcome this small but grevious problem. When you have no alternative to contact neighbors except using intermediaries (specialized communicators) or war, you make substantial more efforts before saying "I don't understand your dialect".

(snipped other comments I agree on)