Re: Dialects in communication

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_E_resFpM8QKGEZV-gC0FN7lR_dZ8F3cqgG8q4cLXI4lQBSBFsl3qmBcYvQ6VYP-NFPKx2>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:11:06 -0800 (PST)

Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_LBwc8fPgePNMedy4yRIrEEIuqMnXo4wYD5_Q7646QHkqvxYVbNWQ9FmkxTW1K7p8CPPPvHwsq-PSGg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> I suppose 'Totally believe' is MachoAmerican English! :-)

No, dude (pronounced dooo' d), it's California Valley/Surfer dialect. Think Keanu Reeves in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure or Bill and Ted's Bogus Adventure.

Seriously, using "totally" is so "totally" Californian that it is a stereotype, exceeded only by using "tubular" as a very good thing, rather than a synonym for a torus.

My only "local" equivalents that I can think of is using "yunz" (the Pittsburghese version of Southerners' "Y'all") or giving directions on the basis of landmarks that aren't there any more (and expecting the other person to know precisely where that would be).