Re: Dialects in communication

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_bYuHbTH0xwJdGFSoCeNjyyMGmz_a82hDfzjN-4TuEMlKRIKqPhkOaIc_8qUqtqVyj>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 22:14:25 -0800

YGWV On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_G8O7A6p6XnAwYHz0FCQ943sHqKAIz80SDOkCuHuI4szlV8jMk-QzQ5iWLqh5UxNo0kzMKYftaTPeSXsG0Zl3jGof.yahoo.invalid>wrote:

> Which just suggests that there are models in the real world for either the
> "very hard to understand" obstacle (when needed for for your story) and for
> the "we all understand each other" trope (when you just want the story to
> move past this issue).

That's the key point.

Perhaps the rural communities of the Oslira valley have a range of
> accents/dialects,

Count on that!

> but the Dara Happa cities all have a strongly similar
> accent within one dialect.

I think the DH cities have distinctive dialects dependin on which city, and which class of people.

Perhaps that clan opposite of your neighbors is
> almost totally unintelligible to you, but then you never really met them
> either, since they stick mostly to their own lands.

I think that mobility is the key. Wherever people do not move much, they develop dialects. That why there are so many more in the UK than in the US, where a lot of people move a lot. But no one would deny that there are distinctive dialects for New England, the South, and Texas. The "mid-Atlantic" dialect (maybe Midwestern) is the one prescribed for TV, though, which tends to universalize it.

And I have to mention a movie that I heard about, but did not see, which was about lower class Brits, and there were subtitles, in English! (trainspotting?)

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer