Re: Dialects in communication

From: Keith Nellist <keithnellist_at_9loKg1WR2mlkjFJOGIKlImlBRIiAA72x_Q3THsh6iI5arafv1sbHiz8UA-ErapW>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 23:30:32 -0000

When I lived in North Manchester and worked in Rochdale, I could usually tell if someone was from (grew up in) Bolton, Bury, Blackburn, Rochdale, Middleton, Oldham. I wouldn't say that there was any communication problems, unlike say, when I was communicating with Glaswegians.

Now I live in Australia it is not so easy.

I don't think that dialect should have much affect on games, although accents are featured in R.E. Howards Conan stories, so they do have an honourable pedigree in the Swords and Sorcery genre, if not mythology.

Si thee in't' morn!
Keith