Re: Dialects in communication

From: donald_at_s7NLU2Z-KRA67gM__To3_4fvv63_tpR6p_FVU56UrtFXx-gopSrH_kXyaHdFioViih18u
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 21:33:14 GMT

In message <2AE46506806D4C6EB9E373BD61BB91D8_at_Camelot> "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" writes:

>Giving direction based on no-longer extant landmarks is a "small
>town" thing - *everyone* knows where the Miller place used to be
>before it burned down in '65, or that the Watson house is now owned
>(for the last 50 years) by the Joneses, but it's still called the
>Watson house. We had directions given to us in England that we had
>to ask for modern translations.

That's the fault of pub chains insisting on renaming their pubs. The Old Cock is still the Old Cock even after the sign has been replaced by Murphy's Guinness Bar and then by Slug and Lettice.

And yes, directions in England are traditionally given by pub names.

>(of course, parts of England still haven't replaced signposts they
>took down when they feared that the Germans would invade. Don't want
>Jerry to find London!)

Or in the case of Birmingham all signs point to the city because they don't want anyone to escape.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/