Re: Death Rune and creating undead

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_ZyS4AQ4U-gFGEvJj3AL9XCJZvRbWlAZlx2lP1t8Sw9RkfRrKQaSmReUeAwf7DcpLc>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:35:05 -0800

YGWV On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_N41AKQ2yrFHLgVXd4w7JwZfY38jPVcmS6S2otfYum7kmktqLmo85kMpEJ-Z2Qc0Z9b104ZhDG9Amjt3bzkVKPfbiBXcq.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> My understanding of the difference between Wizardry and Sorcery (not that
> different from Jeff's, but probably a subjective Makioni definition rather
> than a universal one) was that Wizardry is essence plane magic practised
> more or less in accordance with the Precepts of Malkion, and Sorcery is
> essence plane magic practised without the restraining influence of the
> Precepts of Malkion.

I believe that, originally, it was even more narrow: Wizardry is the practice within the church, sorcery everything outside of it whether they followed the precepts of Malkion/Abiding Book or not.

That said, I am sure that the term is also used for demonologists and
> shamans from alien enemy traditions and practices too, perhaps esepcially by
> non-Malkioni.

Every word used as a definition in HQ are commonly used by various cultures in every which way imaginable. Think of how the terms are confused by everyone in our world, where Zen Buddhists are called priests. Or, for instance, the *mara'a'kame* of the Huicholi ae called priests, shamans, healers, cuanderos, witch doctors, and demonologists when they are, simply * mara'a'kame*. (or rather, not so simply. :-))

Many Gloranthans probably do use the term for Trolls who practise essence
> Plane Magic, and some Trolls and others might even use the term for the
> unorthodox magic of Gadblad cultists (troll smiths who summon and control
> spirits with 'songs of power')
>
> Sorcery is a term of disapproval, but it suggests complex ritual magic too
> -- theistic worshippers of enemy cults would not usually be called
> sorcerors.

And there is a tendency to calssify all "not us" peoples into a single cagegory ("Pagans" or "demon worshippers") no matter what they actually do.

But my point: nomenclature is something that we can only address here with game terms.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer