Re: Death Rune and creating undead

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_Puf64q3uDlZ7lTU9CBk3eanBsU_x27g754eCvQ31fYDXFGXo19sDPdRPz8R86D7KZd9>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:36:50 -0000

Richard Hayes:

> My understanding of the difference between Wizardry and Sorcery (not
> that different from Jeff's, but probably a subjective Makioni
> definition rather than a universal one) was that Wizardry is essence
> plane magic practised more or less in accordance with the Precepts of
> Malkion, and Sorcery is essence plane magic practised without the
> restraining influence of the Precepts of Malkion.

That's the usual Malkioni definition, as I understand it. But other cultures use the term differently - the Heortlings, for instance, don't care whether you're following Malkion or not; it's all sorcery as far as they're concerned. Furthermore, as Jeff says, there seems to be a move towards using it generically to mean 'evil magic' in HQ books (a bit of a pity, IMO, I preferred the more specific meaning... but YGWV).

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/