Re: Death Rune and creating undead

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_30N-EUHow-AruF3Xqvnq-8NofQq9yDAaIteiwtLbEBwFfZmL7vP4zHDCtBSpJCas1s>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:21:59 +1100

2009/1/30 ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_9JN2te6cS6rZn5a04CE2ucIxcgeiJqgXp4Le9ViOh3gveqyMulWqe5vPO3t1xpNPhymc2QeotKaCXcrCetEHRQ.yahoo.invalid>:
> The distinction between these three things has not been preserved in
> HQ2. Scriptures are a special type of grimoire, while what used to be
> formularies are now just regular grimoires.

Now, I'm not to be problematic but I much prefer formulary as the top-level descriptor - they essentially describe formulas for the magic. Grimoires would then be the Western book-based sub-type.

Something else I have been wondering is whether there is a standard terminology for a user of Essence Magic? Is "sorcerer" a rules-artifact term as well? Or are we still using "wizard" as the generic term for "person who employs vaguely hermetic methods to evoke magic originating in the Essence Planes"?

I get an impression that Peter may be wondering why "sorcerer" is used in its standard English usage ("evil magician") but "grimoire" is used in a specific mechanical-definition way ("respository for information about Essence Plane magic - regardless of physical form").

(Just because I don't get quite enough nitpicking about terminological categories done at work...)

Cheers,

--
John Machin