Re: Zorak Zoran (was Death Rune and creating undead)

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_PYR79pr-xI8ODhNH1xQzPFgNwNVot4q2LJ8bsMcDs0J2Ba2NzRwmAs1SQLNyz9631>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:52:22 -0800

YGWV
I'm a little short on time these days, and this answer will be a bit terse because I know Chris can take it. :-)

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_4ACMSnksT_79REz5KcuT_XXkELRYTleovggslBBRlcz-P3SGLz4nQABecjLXnjerUPrLeUII4aaZzV_IYb8.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> I see Zorak Zoran not as hatred, but as an aspect of the Eater.

Not me. He's different.

> He is the consuming, swallowing, engulfing, isolating power of darkness.
> He's why even ordinary darkness is creepy -- he cuts you off from everything
> that makes you comfortable. The engulfing nature of darkness

You have just described Kyger Litor, and ZZ is different.

> The engulfing nature of darkness is similar to what Greg notes as the
> boundary-crosser

Not to me. There's a vast gulf between the violator of boundries and the enfolder.

> (but there are some differences, which I would say are mostly culturally
> dirven, not mythically driven).

Disagree

> The Praxians come close to worshipping the primal nature of it in the Black
> Eater.

At one time they DID worship it, didnt they? And cast it on theGrazers.

> The Zorak Zoran of the Hill of Gold knew the secret that fire also
> consumes; Yelmalio only knew that it was bright, so ZZ trumped Yelmalio's
> control of it. We know that Zorak Zoran is the zombie lord because we know
> what zombies like to do: consume BRAINS! (Well, okay, maybe not in
> Glorantha, but it was too good a line to waste.) The Zorakarkat that my
> troll worships is a consumer of chaos; more specifically, a consumer of
> enlightenment of Nysalor's variety. And, as we all know, eating poison
> can be bad for you.
>
> So, to me, Zorak Zoran is not hatred. But when the ravenous Death Lord
> wants to crush your head and suck out your liver, it is kind of a moot
> point. And Death Lords are ALWAYS hungry.

So is hatred.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer