RE: The Dreams of Dragons...

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_6nuukzqW8sKOYtiy6jtVYELFZ0vsoThczMfijJwEQCTLw9b6MnW5CulvsEbIsgD>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 00:23:54 -0000

YGWV says it all really.

Here's something that happened in my ongoing campaign:

It's often told that the True Dragons are so powerful that their mere dreams can become manifest in the temporary bodies of what are known as Dream Dragons. It is also said that, should these entities be killed, their bodies disappear after a while, presumably when the dream is over.

A strange thing happened one time when our heroes, who live in the Far Place, defeated one such deadly foe. They participated in a group ritual over the body of the vanquished dream dragon in which they ate its heart and some even drank of its blood. They did this because they believed it would give them more power to defeat such things in times to come.

When the body of the dream dragon disappeared a few weeks afterwards no one was that surprised; what did unnerve them was that the effects of their ceremony had taken permanent effect.

They had eaten of the dream of a true dragon, a mystical force beyond the ken of mortals and a very law unto itself. The matter of the dream dragon had been consumed and used by the bodies of the heroes to grow or repair. Where was that which was eaten? Why it had become part of the heroes; the heroes had now fused with the dream of a true dragon. Through them the dragon's dream lived on and they were all part of that same dream.

My campaign has been named Echoes of the Wyrm's Friends.

Since Dream Dragons and the Dragon's Eye City etc are a physical reality on Glorantha, I reckon there are many more things besides.

Perhaps the Dragonewt Roads, the draconic leylines, are like the lines on a Dragon's palm. In my campaign those who travel along them are travelling in the dragon, sort of like an Otherworld.