Re: Berserking

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_xAHf9Dxw8s35wk40FYXRfdzHrhpKIPb-6b7hCXZRhzQN5TNuy7DdZnEvXTeqzafa>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 21:55:34 +0000

On 4 Feb 2009, at 13:16, Richard Hayes wrote:

> Didn't Tales of the Reaching Moon once publish a scenario in which
> Storm Bull worshippers could go on a Heroquest to learn how to go
> berserk?

Issue 7 Berserkergang Quest by Sandy Petersen (1991):

"The Myth. Berserkergang is the frenzy which can overcome a person and make him capable of incredible feats of combat. The spells of Berserker and Fanaticism are pale shadows of the true divine madness. In ancient days a young god, Storm Bull sought new wonders to behold. He was great and strong, and when he crossed the Bridge of Passage it bent under his weight. At the Court of Kargan Tor, the Storm Bull engaged in contests with the Gods of War with special powers as the prize. Storm Bull won some and lost some and in the end came out with the abilities we know as berserkergang, which process his worshippers can go through."

The results are very much super-runequest heroquest and it comes from Sandy's draft HQ rules from about 1988. You get double attack % and immunity to mind control etc. It really doesn't seem to fit in with what we've been discussing. Personally i'd ignore it.

If Sandy still reads this stuff perhaps we can get permission to put it on Glorantha.com for historical interest.

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.
020-8150-9716 / 07956-589433