RE: Re: How powerful are City gods, Tribal spirits, petty gods...

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_-aP2NTqubDz3Jq_dJimIiTUM1oarPm3gXApLy_R8z8Bcq7iMBftg7wBJsQJsWH6>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:30:52 -0000

Bravo!

-----Original Message-----
From: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com [mailto:WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Richard Sent: 16 February 2009 08:46
To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: How powerful are City gods, Tribal spirits, petty gods...

> Relative resistances are all very well, but from they are still
> relative to something concrete surely? The resistance of the city god
> is different to Local Broo Chief with warband than to the
> forementioned Ethilrist.

Resistance is always going to be relative to your hero, not to some outside yardstick (which really doesn't work with HQ given the difference styles in awarding and spending Hero Points). The question is what role do you want the city guardian to play in your story? Is it going to be nearly impossible to overcome (in which case, give it nearly impossible resistence)? Or just very hard? Or are your heroes such that you want them to make short shrift of it (moderate resistance).

> Looking at the current paradigm (as this is still HQ, not HQ2 time) is
> the huge wyter power just used to augment? That seems to give sensible
> numbers. I suspect the God of Furthest couldn't just rip enemies apart
> with 10w4 ability if that happened to be it's ability. Rather it could
> augment the chosen defenders with that power, giving a huge augment to
> a chosen champion, or a lesser one to everybody defending the walls
> (automatic augment seems to be +9, which is certainly significant
enough).

In HQ2, the community wyter can use its power in whatever way is appropriate given its mythic backstory and purpose. Sometimes that power will manifest directly and in your face, like the burning hail that the Vestenings can call down on in their defense, or the dragon that protected Boldhome, or the great statue of Raiba that guards Raibanth. Sometimes it is manifested by single champion who heroforms into the wyter, like when the king of Heortlings became the Thunderer or when Hofstaring wielded the powers of King Thanlanth. And so on.

Glorantha is not a mechanistic world with scientifically defined laws of magic, despite the best efforts of God Learner and dwarf.

Jeff