Re: Has anyone actually RUN the Battle of Iceland?

From: Jakob Pape <chaomancer_at_YRJvTTzNjH06DL19s_ekq2XCY5vJEC0CeMc8FgikKhSDhhAHQFMmqiFxW8OwWiboB>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 01:06:06 +0000

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Mike D <mdawson_at_CzZ59hRLddMPa9WMKIGi2hZ8O7FO2l_6fgLzuVII-zbPo7gBJlhhFKqvrGhIYaGxtzhqhToV.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Hello all, long time no post.
>
> My very very long term game, started in 2000, is about to play out the
> Battle of Iceland. Since not a one of my characters are actually Heortling
> Orlanthi, this has slightly less impact for them.
>
> Nevertheless, they are vested in the defeat of the Lunars, and I already
> have some plans for making the situation challenging because so many of them
> are so damn odd compared to normal Sartarites.
>
> But I'm posting here to see if any of you have thoughts or recommendations
> based on how the scenario worked out for you.
>
> Many of my challenges revolve around not having the long term "Army
> Villain" in play in the past, though their will be a showdown between the
> Hero Babeester Gori and the Ulurdan hunters who have been chasing her, and
> some interaction between the Jaldonite Chojoha Smellsbroos and the Hero who
> is Champion of Pavis. At least.
>
> My other challenge involves the level many of these heroes have reached--I
> know I have to throw in some personal contests with tough guys or the heroes
> will roll right over the entire Lunar force. So some Shargashi Meteors are
> planned, for example.
>
> But what did you discover about the scenario itself as you ran it, what
> could have gone better, what was great? I'm really looking forward to
> running it!
>
> Thanks,

I ran it as part of a HQ campaign a few years ago, and it went great! Mine was also a bit different; few of the characters were Heortlings, though having lived amongst them for a couple of years by that point they were invested in the fight too. The biggest challenge was keeping everything moving and interesting for all the players, but it worked out really well; there was one PC fatality, and that made an excellent scene (he leapt between the King and a lunar lightning bolt), but there really wasn't anything else to it other than playing up the heroics!

Unfortunately, it was long enough ago that I can't think of any specific advice. The best trick I did in running it, I think, was making distinctive enemies. Again like your lot, the PCs didn't have an Army Villain, but I tried to give each PC someone on the battlefield to hate and compete against. In part that meant other Heortling groups to compete against for the victory.

--
Jakob Pape

"Sometimes subtlety comes in the form of large explosions and jammed open
airlock doors."