Re: Has anyone actually RUN the Battle of Iceland?

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_e9G7LSKpjRkWLokSMbKZyPIpVRzBvpD7zy4PFY-Wgmy79n4BZMnwLoIUUS3oIzYT>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:24:54 +0000

On 16 Mar 2009, at 20:01, Mike D wrote:

> But what did you discover about the scenario itself as you ran it,
> what could have gone better, what was great?

It was hard to pitch the battle with my mixed bag of players. Although all of the same clan, their abilities stretched across a wide range (and one was healer). I had split them into 2 groups to address this, although I wangled it so they met up at the end. Most got a round of combat, magic or healing. I pretended that this was affecting the battle by marking scores on paper. Running epic battles is a bit boring for players, The battle of iceland is too big and I didn't want to spend the evening narrating it, so I chopped it down. The players did get a chance to have it out with their army villain, which did provide a fantastic focus. In short I skipped over most of it, put in colour only round the players, used the fog of war, then got the main NPCs to fill in missing bits and then moved straight back to the roleplaying.

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.
020-8150-9716 / 07956-589433