Re: Appearance of Irensavalists of Loskalm and Rokari Seshnelans

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_1qrDGJu78r6Nr4bGRvpDWn0pLCRKiDF2_G6nzvpQK6x9mUL_IWd8WdqkEZidZuGF7Eg>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 09:22:43 -0000

> 1: Loskalmi
>
> You in the draft:
> <<Artistic note: I'm envisaging late 15th/early 16th century north European
> clothing here - JKR>>
>
> Is there any change of your idea above?

I'd probably just stick with 15th century now. Also remember that the clothing has to be warm, given the Loskalmi climate!

> I assume many of them are well-off looks benefited from Syndics Ban.

I'd see grandiose and ornate clothing as part of the style, especially for the wealthy (and the 15th century is quite good for this). As is true of their architecture, for that matter.

> 2: Seshnelans
> Is there any distinct difference between the appearance of
> Seshnelans and
> Loskalmi which can be distinct even from POV of perfect outsiders
> like Sartari?

Physically, the Loskalmi are quite Nordic, while the Seshnegi are more Mediterranean in appearance. Whilst, of course, the two races have intermingled in the past, and so are no longer as racially pure as they may have been during, say, the Dawn Age, there would be clear differences in the 'average' look, IMO. If they're tall, blond, and blue-eyed, there's a pretty good chance they're Loskalmi, not Seshnegi.

And, of course, they will have different styles of clothing, with the Rokari being more conservative.

> Loskalmi are Irensavalists....it might mean that they are "Gnostics"
> though
> I don't know what it means.

A gnostic is, broadly speaking, somebody who believes that humans are pure souls trapped in an unpleasant physical world by some evil deity/being, and they should try to free themselves of it. In some respects, this has parallels with Buddhist belief about existence being suffering, from which the object is escape.

> It might mean that there are many
> symbolic
> condemnations to "evil demiurge of God Learners and Southerners".

Not directly related to that, but one consequence of belief in the Hidden Mover as the ultimate form of God is that, in Loskalmi churches, the ritual areas are hidden from the worshippers by a decorated screen (the "iconostasis"). This emphasises the mystery of God.

But, yeah, they condemn believers in false forms of God. Which is a general hobby amongst all Malkioni, really.

> Symbol of Flamesword is another interesting topic, for that is a
> symbol of
> Return to Righteous Crusade (and the royal blood of Hero-King
> Gerlant(3)) It
> symbolizes that Rokari are still supporters of Abiding Book.

Gerlant is a great hero to the Seshnegi, and one of the few saintly orders that the Rokari aren't (at least yet) considering abolishing.

> (2)If I can call them Seshnelans ignoring the protests from Castle
> Coastans,
> it's ironic is that this 'upstart and heir of Lions and Vampires'
> tanisorians call their kingdom that of Flamesword.

Bailifes claimed to be re-uniting the old Kingdom of Seshnela, and calling on the memory of Saint Gerlant was an obvious way to do that. All Kings of the Bailifes Dynasty have been followers of Gerlant, making it a symbol of royal power.

> (3)Greg inserted some interesting idea in MSE. The lineage of King
> Gerlant
> ceased to exist after Prince Trymir, and the paganistic lineage of
> King
> Saval (derived from 1st Age Demigod Damol) occupied the imperial
> throne of
> MSE until Luatha destroyed the old Seshnela.

Right; the Bailifes and Gerlant Dynasties are quite separate, arguments to the contrary from the current Seshnegi nobility aside. (I suspect most Seshnegi nobles can find Gerlant *somewhere* in their family trees, and I imagine the royal family in particular has exaggerated that, and glossed over a few uncertainties and lacunae in the genealogical records).

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/