Re: Liminal heroquest in Galactica finale

From: L C <lightcastle_at_PVBB7PxhkIoUq2Qp1I7keovGcMIBMv7SNCOqTDzTuBv754Mrrjya33gliT9qwilV>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:46:15 -0400

This is going to go off-topic, quick.

Ian Cooper wrote:

>One of the things that interests me about BG is that it had no
metaplot. Ron Moore put together a series bible describing the background, characters, genre and premise but had no idea of the destination. >Series had a theme, but it was up to the writers to show character through the events/situations that occurred in each episode.

Which is probably one of the reasons it ended up shooting itself in the foot quite so badly at the end, since from the beginning the one thing they *promised* was a meta-plot. ("And they have a Plan" "The truth will be revealed".) As with one's games - "know your audience" (players)

>No one knew who the final five were until the end of series 3 when
they wanted another big revelation.

Which is one of the reasons that story arc made so little sense, and derailed so much.

>It's interesting to see the parallels.
>It's also interesting to note that the decision to end after 4 series,
and tie up plot lines because developments had
>driven the story toward a conclusion, is one I think that we are all
to afraid off when running games.

Agreed. Some games do work best this way. Some don't, depends how you are playing. Again, know your players.

>Endings are tough, but ending well can really make a game, like a TV
show, memorable, rather than allowing it to fizzle out like a damp squib.

Mind you, they are tough, and you want memorable in a good way, not in the "Wow, that damp squib was the ending for your TV show after having a whole year knowing you were aiming to an end?"

LC