Re: Liminal heroquest in Galactica finale

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_tgVRsoAT3hcRCXxqvsJSSwSTJA7_MPdGrEEuUhH4gXG15WVMN18uvJu5z>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 14:32:53 -0000

Slightly off-topic, but hoping the OP won't mind.

One of the things that interests me about BG is that it had no metaplot. Ron Moore put together a series bible describing the background, characters, genre and premise but had no idea of the destination. Series had a theme, but it was up to the writers to show character through the events/situations that occurred in each episode.

For example no one knew Boomer was going to be a Cylon until they decided that it was a key way to end the mini-series and draw folks in to any TV series. No one knew who the final five were until the end of series 3 when they wanted another big revelation.

This is similar to how I play HQ today. There is a series bible with situation, characters and premise, and I may have an idea of a theme for a series, but there is no meta-plot, just me preparing events/situations for each week by which I hope to show character.

It's interesting to see the parallels. It's also interesting to note that the decision to end after 4 series, and tie up plot lines because developments had driven the story toward a conclusion, is one I think that we are all to afraid off when running games. Endings are tough, but ending well can really make a game, like a TV show, memorable, rather than allowing it to fizzle out like a damp squib.