RE: Re: Liminal heroquest in Galactica finale

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_KQZC6SH2QSenyP3Xe5KKZuFVee3uyXLDM8rESum9Ht4MPxjebRDKfhzb1g0wGLo>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 00:39:59 +0100

I try to do this by working out '100 words' for the scenario (or series). We do this as a group, actually; developing what I call the 'back of dvd text that sells the content to the prospective viewer' (I need a sound byte for that).

The '100 words' is normally a longer piece of prose, depending on the ideal length of the series/scenario and contains just the sort of things you _should_ find on the back of a dvd case: hints as to what's inside, names of characters, scene setups, premise but no spoilers. Of course a spoiler in a RPG would be a railroad.

I've been toying with the idea of a 'series bible' as you put it for some time now. Already, for my ongoing campaign, I have used CmapTools (http://cmap.ihmc.us) to map out the entities in my campaign; I recommend this tool heartily - it helps keep track of everything. My idea for what I've been calling a campaign log (your 'bible') was to have two sections: one available to players containing everything they have seen and on for the narrator for everything yet to see. I still fantasise about putting in pictures of the important entities - using removable cards that can be used as visual queues in play.

But back to BSG:

This method of developing television I think is responsible for the fairly long periods during the BSG series where I was confused about what was going on. I mean, I am used to playing follow-the-bread-crumbs when watching Lost but this was different. Your explanation of how BSG was actually made helps me to better understand the series which, whilst interesting, ground-breaking and ultimately very rewarding suffered, I feel, with the lack of focus you'd expect from this design methodology.

Unsurprisingly, I see this happening in our narrativistic roleplaying. The trick for us and for TV series producers is to avoid these new pitfalls.

Thanks, Ian, for the insight.