Re: The thing with goats

From: donald_at_VpVIRelrlbI5OX_KrnhRn1PoBRQNSQ2D_OV1HIDpVe8qiHC_AUuxAlhbRo_tR87bIy8rl
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:34:04 GMT

In message <F231B12D-D1AE-459D-A0FA-EEF1CA4D82F9_at_IT3tM0omEkH4ss0nzukm9IF-HCXGuXQCGCv74fTYczitJwXtBqZimeYylTZd429D98uN7dyxgLyf5dFuarXYwIEhV07IwESm_Bn_PKdZx3efRNcN8BHENg_KGT4R.yahoo.invalid> Richard Crawley writes:
>Broo tend to look like the creatures they are born from.
>
>Most Broo look like goats (RQ2 gives "Goatkin" as an alternative name)
>
>Most Sartarite tribes tend to shy away from goats because of the Broo
>associations. To the extent that the Balkoth are forced by the Lunars
>to keep goats as a punishment (HiG2).
>
>Dara Happans don't eat goat meat (DHS) because of the Broo associations.

That doesn't mean they don't keep goats. Dara Happa Stirs concentrates on the nobility and their taboos. I can well imagine peasants keeping a goat for milk and hair. And eventually slaughtering it for meat which they can't usually afford. Officially wrong but what priest or nobleman is going to be looking in a peasant's hut?

>So where are all these effing goat-like Broo coming from? Is there a
>massive population of wild goats right across Genertela that forms a
>Broo breeding reservoir? Is so why doesn't some enterprising Storm
>Bull / Urox / other chaos-hating cult Hero get out there and preach
>caprine genocide?

I don't think broo are all that common in most places. The places they are common will be the remote areas where goats are most suited to survive. I expect the expeditions to sources of chaos do kill any goats they encounter. They just don't kill enough of them, rather like the broo themselves.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/