Re: Where in Glorantha is this?

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_WQJK8NMsp74QhTn-yHAmyeiFE87AqrKAWzD3tI37MG2ivQhG76WmEeAMWdVI7dtqj9fr>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 07:38:22 -0000

> Nor do I see land ownership in DH being anything like as complicated
> as feudal Europe. Some will be owned by free peasants who work it
> themselves while most will be owned by Leagues who use slaves. 4th
> Century Roman practice if you want an analogy.

Land ownership questions in DH may be much more complicated than you imagine. I imagine that land is held collectively by the Pelorian villagers but the village itself is owned by a Dara Happan city, noble, temple or other entity. Villagers cannot alienate land outside of their own community, but the village itself is freely transferable and divisible by its overlord.

Frex, the village of Dershko (population 450 souls) is owned as follows: 1/3 by the Temple of Ghevengus, 1/5 by the City of Yuthuppa, 1/5 by Seredentha of Red Fish who received it for her ancestor's devotion to Sedenya, 1/8 by Kerinserthus of Perkos who acquired his interest from Harissipus of Jillaro whose ancestors were awarded the interest during the wars against Sheng), 1/10 by the Clamoring Monks of Santhar, and another 1/10 by Khorvash of Henjarl (who received his interest as a gift for valor fighting barbarians at Boldhome). Note that the total of interests adds up to more than 100%. Complicating this yet more is a claim against the entire village by the Sultan of Karasal as a result of a dispute with the priests of Ghevengus.

Meanwhile, as far as the peasants are concerned, life in the village goes on as it has for the last 100,000 years. They give the customary tribute to the overseers (whom they have no idea who they represent) and transfer fields and herds between their members with the approval of Ovoso the Headman, the real ruler of the village.

Jeff