Re: The thing with goats

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_ZeKrcp5mRCAqL6BlWs45w92qfyWHTQLjigOwM1Qa5L4wK8QcRQKKJDE6VAG0vQarlWut8sw4>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:10:24 -0000

>the Morocanth were wearing paper-mache horns. (Or make up your own >amusing fable to explain why morocanth have no horns, but all the
> other Praxian animals do!

I definitely want a Morocanth wearing paper-mache horns *somewhere* in Glorantha...

> > How about the Pol-Joni.  They don't ride Erithan beasts, but do they recognise Waha! in any form?
>
> I don't think they worship him. Waha bans the riding of horses. (Well, at least since the second age it has "always been that way." The canon leaves it open to debate before then.)

I think I'll reserve the possibility that (IMG) they recognise a Thunder-brother who fulfils many of Waha!'s roles (But not the "Big" ones - no survival covenant - and obviously no prohibition on horses) in case the need should arise. It's not an area I'm actively exploring, so if someone produces a "definitive" Pol Joni-pak I can easily adopt that.

> I think the more interesting question is how the Bull-bands
> operate between the different cultures. Praxian Bullmen go into
> Sartar and Heortland with some frequency. (After all, who could
> resist seeing the Footprint and Snaekpipe Hollow?) And Heortling
> bull-men (Uroxi or whatever) visit the Block. So, there's a lot of
> cultural interaction there. What they say about the relationship
> between Waha and his notional cousins would be interesting. But
> Storm Bull being Waha's father is mythically important to Waha
> worshippers, not to Storm Bull worshippers. So the secret Bullmen
> rituals in which Heortling and Praxian Bullmen participate
> probably never mention the relatives. But there's no canon on
> this, so make up whatever pleases you.

Yes. It's not the relationship between Praxian Bull-men and Sartarite Uroxi that's the real problem. It's when the Orlanthi and Waha! Cultists start assuming they are the same the fun arises. Not that Stormbull cultists are ever good at being asked/told what to do, but when the Waha! Kahn assumes the relationship between Waha! and Stormbull entitles him to ask the Bullmen to perform some task, or the Praxian finds some "little brother" assuming a position of authority....