RE: Re: Moon Design Studios blog

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_GrsPHgNBTYfAcCWXB6pq2xMObSxj1JavB-BjcqopPfz_VR6mV4-UXYVwjGt7Y2T>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 10:38:57 +0100

Bit late, Kevin? :)
Even so, I'd agree in principle.

-----Original Message-----
From: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com [mailto:WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kevin McDonald Sent: 03 May 2009 00:07
To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Moon Design Studios blog

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Jeff Richard <richaje_at_RtJXweQ1irxw3zeuGOZDArJglFHc2qopfQ7kgFtBNhUp0CFV48YkrFgfuLEN6Psk154FFWm4Ia64PQ.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Thanks! We want to be able to keep everyone in the loop regarding what we
are doing and what is going on with these publications.

I am eagerly looking forward to every post! I actually have a google docs spreadsheet with every Great Compromise post (after a certain date) in it, so this will save me some work. Does that make me both lazy and compulsive?

> We plan on occasionally discussing the development process with the
finished books as well and maybe get around to talking about thinks like:
> Why do griffins sometimes have stats and sometimes not?
> Making Heortlings magical
> Terminology (e.g. we know the Heortlings don't literally say "Storm
Tribe")
> What happened to AP bidding?
>
> We also plan to post answers to interesting rules or settings questions.

Well, since you brought it up...

In my excitement over all the recent news I replayed Darran's continuum podcast about HQ2 Gloranthan magic, and something started to bother me. One of the core features of HQ2 appears to be that ability ratings are relative - not absolute - measures of a character's potency in a story. That being true, no two narrators may define a "starting character" the same way. In one game they are stick pickers. In another they might be heroes - or anything in between. That being the case, it doesn't seem to make sense to say that you have to achieve a certain ability rating to become an initiate or devotee. It should suffice to say that it requires overcoming plot obstacles or perhaps a default resistance class for the application contest.

Has this been addressed since the podcast?

Thanks!

-Kevin McD