Re: Moon Design Studios blog

From: Robin Laws Mail List Only <tjaderoo_at_5qcaRgWPzIpY3reyLfbEgNvcaDcndAuh7tdk_fsgkse363T0oSutoVijQl0pjCXMexv>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 21:16:12 -0400

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 8:41 PM, <donald_at_Sng2PqeC5Yc7p_AyCcFGC4IwIdbWbxAP0Vm8VFPUX6iaFJ_hsTO9KNKONEpUCfUF4W6_-ek_4Qm4Xu-9fVmWpjw.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> One thing I find puzzling about this discussion is the reference
> to "the story" as if there was only one. I can see that approach
> being applicable when writing a scenario but in more general RPG
> terms there are going to be multiple stories - one for each character
> at least. Initiation can easily be an interesting branch for one
> story and an irrelevance to another.

There's only one story that actually happens. Everything else is unrealized possibility.

Before you resolve a conflict, you usually can often see a couple of directions that the story could branch in. If, by looking at the possible branches, you can see that one of them leads to a dull or disappointing null result, you should take measures to avoid that. Costly Successes are one way to do this. Automatic Successes are another. Which tool you choose to use depends on your assessment of the context.

> Costly Success would appear to be the answer if initiation is
> necessary for a story to progress but I'm not sure why that
> would be the case.

There might absolutely be sessions in which failure at initiation would lead to further plot obstacles that are as rich and enjoyable as success. In that case, I'd use one of the standard resolution methods.

In practice, I think that nine times out of ten a failure to initiate will prove to be emotionally unsatisfying for the players, without offering the abundant story possibilities of initiation. The change in status that comes if the player succeeds is richer in story possibilities than a null result leaving him where he was before. When players seek changes that take their characters in new directions, I look for ways to credibly say "yes." Or "yes, but", which is what you get with a costly success.

Take care >>> Robin