Re: Moon Design Studios blog

From: donald_at_QGLuEnUFUhUHDjHs4ZczWm7dVhDiyehTBpB61ZBScxFdqIZwUasDHzpuwXBs1gBsg03K8
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 00:41:22 GMT

In message <fbab4a570905051120h65b586d1t4978720ef02bcf2d_at_s1gvJOQq89v1SPFPbtbJTKqxUEfI5AxXCE9b5VGkH_SofHHtfsK93CIkrT5cwMaUITMdof7oa_BRqoYv70XkftHBnKzO_XiNU_Zer586V1SZWXZaW67Q-Is7bD8JNy7rAFcGItU.yahoo.invalid> Robin Laws Mail List Only writes:

>> It doesn't want to be as mechanistic as the RQ system
>> of qualifications but if it isn't part of character generation
>> there should be more than the player saying "I want".
>
>The question I'd ask is whether failure would yield an interesting
>or satisfying story branch. If the answer is "no", I'd reframe the
>contest using the Costly Success rules. This preserves a sense of
>suspense and effort, and possible negative repercussions, without the
>story negation that would tend to accompany a flat-out failure.

One thing I find puzzling about this discussion is the reference to "the story" as if there was only one. I can see that approach being applicable when writing a scenario but in more general RPG terms there are going to be multiple stories - one for each character at least. Initiation can easily be an interesting branch for one story and an irrelevance to another.

Costly Success would appear to be the answer if initiation is necessary for a story to progress but I'm not sure why that would be the case.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/