Re: Initiation - Contests and Failure

From: xavierllobet <xavierllobet_at_YfRfAdFWjauNM6oHsnoNYxBUvq-iBOUxFwybdy8AMO0xki8K-w4nwh27fP_8-Ny>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 07:41:53 -0000

> FWIW, I've run some initiation scenarios myself (there's one of my
> players here who could talk from the player's perspective ;) ). It's a
> campaign centered on the Greydog clan, and it started at the players
> initiation to adulthood. I played that first, and then individual
> initiations to their gods before starting the "usual" scenarios.
> The way I designed them the initiation themselves couldn't fail, but
> those initiations had stages, which had contests, and those contests
> could have any outcome. The different kind of outcomes had different
> consequences on the future life on the character.
>
> Cheers,
> -Sergi Dïaz

Hi,

I played one of Kenrae's initiation scenarios and I found it was a really good way to start a HQ campaign. Specially with people like me and the other players who were new to the system, because in this way, my orlanthi PC got initiated into the cult of Drogarsi in a cool way and, at the same time, I got initiated into the HeroQuest game in a cool way.

Also, having previously played RuneQuest for a long time, starting to play HeroQuest with a heroquest just couldn't be more fitting!!! :-D

Regarding the possible failure of the quest, all relatives of my character assured him that he would do just fine and told him that they trusted him to get initiated, so he was probably more scared of disappointing them than of actually getting killed or lost in the heroplane. At the same time, in game terms, I was pretty sure I would get initiated, because, you know, "the GM is not going to kill me in my first adventure, right?". However, I wasn't completely positive of that, specially when I had to fight the Bad Emperor in his palace and also later, when I had to face an ogre in the "I fought We Won" battle using only my voice as a weapon. I just wasn't sure what would happen if my character failed all the dice rolls or if I failed to take the right decisions, so it was tense and meaningful, and the final success quite rewarding.

Therefore, I would strongly recommend to do an initiation scenario as the start of (at least) any community-based campaign, because, is there a better way to start an orlanthi campaign than by killing Yelm? ;-)