Re: Moon Design Studios blog

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_knfgO6qWfo9V6Lsly-qFXq32xA2QJka3T0TvGuqkovx5C2j-xeXgvvHBOXXxdxodkf-pQcZ7>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 10:23:36 -0000

> Story pacing involves a balancing of heroes surmounting obstacles,
> and having more trouble piled on them. I don't think my ability to
> become an initiate ought to depend on when in the story I decide to
> do so. So it seems clear that we shouldn't be using the Pass/Fail
> cycle.

Funny. I seem to recall that when some of us expressed reservations about HQ2 doing away with fixed numbers in favour of relative resistances and the pass-fail cycle, we were told we were failing to embrace the HQ2 paradigm. Why should my ability to initiate be treated differently from my ability to scale the wall of the governors compound, sneak past the guard dog, defeat the Humakti Initiate in single combat, persuade the maid not to raise the alarm, or impress his daughter with my wit, charm and bravery in breaking in to deliver her a token of my love?