Re: Moon Design Studios blog

From: David Dunham <david_at_CDYydeaSE_-sKKtwBgr3sXNGgEHqKhKcE4wqtlds_-KgPpkLdmD3941HlVhC1Y_K2kud6p>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 17:40:56 -0700

Kevin

> > And not being part of a scenario, it would be hard to
> > impose a story-relevant resistance.
>
>I don't get this point. It seems like any other plot point to me, and
>thus subject to the same strategies and rules for setting resistances.

Story pacing involves a balancing of heroes surmounting obstacles, and having more trouble piled on them. I don't think my ability to become an initiate ought to depend on when in the story I decide to do so. So it seems clear that we shouldn't be using the Pass/Fail cycle.

I'm not sure "credibility test" is entirely the right term, but to me it seems that someone who is actually strong in the Death rune should have an easier time becoming a Humakti than someone who has the rune at its base value and just wants to join for the Kewl Powerz. Giving both of these people an equally difficult challenge feels wrong. Which is why it's not described as being against Moderate difficulty.

If you're playing out the life of your character as a series of contests, then yes, you might make initiation one of the contests, and use one of the standard strategies for resistance.

Or if you play out initiation as a plot obstacle, you'd run this mini-story like any other.

But since most Heortlings are initiates, it's not usually a big deal in play (any more than most modern-day HeroQuest games would require PCs to get their driver's license by a series of challenges). So it's a simple threshold.

Again, I don't see it as a plot point -- it's almost always outside the plot.

--

David Dunham