Re: Initiation - Contests and Failure

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_IrTblb2FCK04uebHzU887K06Aw6tdz3XDashrFTcy3LBFZiHs5ef2UJ81mwUCPa5pj-3>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 14:29:55 -0000

> > It still seemed strange to me, since it also means that every character
> > basically goes on HeroQuests, which makes them seem.... too mundane to
> > me. Of course, I later found out that Orlanthi go on HeroQuests every
> > holy day, during sacred time, every time they learn a feat, the two
> > initiations they go through, becoming an adult, etc. So really,
> > HeroQuests are banal and everyday for Orlanthi.

Hardly banal. The Orlanthi normally participate as spectators in a worship ceremony; entering the Otherworld but taking a largely passive role. A heroquest is similar to a worship ceremony but goes an additional step. Instead of merely observing the deities perform their immortal actions; in a heroquest various participants step into the role of the gods and reenact their actions while empowered by the magic of the Other Side.

The first is relatively easily and not very dangerous. The second is always potentially dangerous.

Jeff