Re: What are the "gain feat" quests like

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_h4cDPH1F55PhReuaNs6o7dfrz5HvO5nqW1PVxR7CaSAtgBjekg5_D0wK-lHh0glPI>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 07:46:11 -0700

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 4:38 PM, valkoharja <rintasaa_at_rvDTVWzcFKIWMXH2H0HlD_A1uPIOKX6AOCennx9kPG0T9Taai1C1-45GjSww2SK_TzGAdI7iVoc6pWYz6fA-kg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> When you are learning to throw lightning around like Orlanth, what is the
> heroquest like?

Let us use a well known example.
You want a Returning Hammer, just like Thor (Orlanth) You go to the Loki (Eurmal) guy (there is no formal cult of Loki, after all) and have him get a surrogate hammer, according to all the principles of magic (although, ha ha, he's a trickster...). The "Thor" guy will be along part of the time Some holy day the karls gather around, the godar does a ceremony, off you go.
Now you are in the story where Thor first Uses his hammer. Hmmm, let's make it the Thor and Hrungnir.
http://www.timelessmyths.com/norse/thor.html#Hrungnir Of course, the role of Thialfi is that of the priest, and the clay giant is made for the ritual, with a mare's heart and standing on a shield. Your PC is on the Hero Plane, doing the same thing with the giant. I sure hope your Groa stand in (Ernalda) is ready. (note that the Thor with a flint in his head = an ordinary fire maker. give them out as gifts afterwards to all the participants)
Successful in everything?
That Returning Thunderstorm, the gift from Eurmal, now bears the Return power. Or Lightning Power. Or however it is phrased with the GM cooperation.

In the quest, are you Orlanth discovering YGWVthe power within (or
> recovering Umah's javelins from Yavor), or are you one of the

You could be "one of," but your power would be affected. For instance,

> Thunder Brothers,

Oh, did those tiny fragments of surviving manuscript and lore fail to include the part where Baldr, Bragi and Heimdall were along with Thor this whole time? They might learn something (ie-their "own story" that goes along with this one, weaving in and out of each other) but they'd not be getting Lightning, I mean Return Hammer, because they don't use a.. um, thunder blast. Hrungnir has nothing for them.

or maybe just one of the warriors in Orlanth's Fyrd learning to do what the
> warchief does?

Now, these guys are along and they do not get the same power, but this is the time when ordinary people at a worship ceremony get a little chance to boost their connection with God, to merge with their Orlanth power as it blossoms to its fullest, each man experiencing in full the Divine Male. And maybe get a little something that might, some day, lead them to bearing the Full Power themselves (though probably not, more likely allowing them to "link in" with someone who is using it.)

Can a Storm Tribe warrior in the godworld infact throw lightning, or is that
> a power of the few Gods that can do it?

Does the above make it clear?

--
Greg Stafford