RE: Runes and society

From: donald_at_Giret4Sx0310zGsUhnQdvcL_h94CpbvluOEw_sAwEZ3ZiC5MOCynEa6LYzgav1lwp6E9x
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:10:24 GMT

In message (no message ID) Matthew Cole writes:

>I think Gloranthan theists know Rune Magic as having come from the gods.
>That said, they are not mentioned in any mythologhy, so we are left, I
>think, to wonder how even the Satarites understand runes.
>
>My feeling is that Gloranthans understand runes in the same way that
>earthly superstitions are used to understand the world. Almost nobody
>knows any lore on runes but everyone knows the world is made of them.

They are also a form of writing. Something which communicates ideas in a visual form. For a myth look to Lhankor Mhy giving the knowledge of runes to man. Scholars are probably the only people who know more than a handful of runes.

I see most Gloranthans regarding them as symbols which also *are* the concept they describe. That's the basis of theistic magic, you invoke the symbol and its power flows through you.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/