Re: Runes and society

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_MAgPlA5SgTvnwYwNMRGyMlfztLIhuEIFgN3ZGJkXlxMJPA5mcjKbuWIUlOJ_bIBRLU>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 09:09:52 +1000

2009/5/22 Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_wOWr6-kso63FKSJ-TRKJUgwqcKQq31bUYARh1KI7agqoApQVtYL46FBvNwxgVFI0uM5gr5hjA12UbaAA5LtR3YI.yahoo.invalid>:
> If I recall correctly, the runes written forms very (by large or small
> degrees) from culture to culture. I seems apparent to me that the runes do
> not have any "true" physical form, but that the written/carved/knotted
> shapes have meaning and when in certain frames of mind can trigger new and
> different frames of mind that empower magic. At least that's my understand.

Well it seems that the Orlanthi are mad keen on visually depicting the runes. All their god images have runes associated with them, and lots of the pictures I have seen of them have them liberally studded with runic tattoos.

Similarly, there are moons and such tattooed on various depicted Lunars - although this could be a habit of the artists not a genuine phenomenon of "Lunar culture" (whatever that is).

I have trouble imaging lots of Rokari being tattooed, but that may have a lot to do with lingering mental associations of them with 13th century Europeans on my part than with their actual society (about which I still know little... roll on LotW!).

--
John Machin